Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Importance of Skincare + My Skincare Routine



I wasn't really sure what to write about today, but as I was washing my face tonight, it dawned on me. I'll write about skin care! Gyaru or not, your face is not only the canvas for your makeup, but it is also one of the first things people notice about you when they meet you...wouldn't you want it to be the best it could possibly be? Skin care should be one of the foundations of your gal look, along with makeup, hair, clothing, and body/body image. I'll write separate posts on all of the others, but today we're starting with skin.

I'm not even trying to be humble here - I have pretty nice -almost perfect- skin. I always have, even through puberty. Call me lucky, I guess, but that doesn't mean I still don't get the occasional breakout or blemish and I like to prevent those from happening as much as possible. You'll notice that other than my makeup remover and face wash, all of the products I use are made from natural ingredients. Although I don't have sensitive skin, I prefer to use organic or natural products because I don't feel it necessary to put unneeded chemicals on my face - or skin - in general.

I have a balanced skin type that is not prone to acne. What works for me may not work for you, and vice-versa.



My skincare "arsenal:" makeup remover, face wash, toner/astringent, moisturizer, tea tree oil, jojoba oil, and eye cream.

I wash my face twice a day - once in the morning when I shower, and once in the evening when I get ready for bed. My order of operation slightly differs based on what time of day it is.



Makeup Remover
This is either the first or second thing I do, depending on the time of day. In the morning, I wash my face in the shower and remove the remnants of my makeup after I get out. If it is the evening, I remove the majority of my makeup before washing my face. I personally never remove my mascara at night. I always do it in the morning when I shower. Right now, I use L'Oréal makeup remover, but I usually get whatever oil-free makeup remover is on sale. It's makeup remover - it's basically all the same if you look at the ingredients.



Face Wash
Next, (let's say it's night time) I wash my face with L'Oréal Go 360 Clean Deep Exfoliating Scrub. I LOVE this stuff. I've been using it for almost 2 years now, that's the longest I've stuck with any skincare product. It smells like apricots, and it's gentle enough for my daily use. I might not suggest it for daily use if you have sensitive skin; but since I don't, I use this as my main face wash.



Toner/Astringent
After washing and patting my face dry with a clean hand towel or wash cloth, I spray my own home made toner onto my face to close my pores. I make my toner out of 3 ingredients: witch hazel, tea tree oil, and distilled or purified water.

My recipe is as follows: Fill up ¾ of the spray bottle with witch hazel, then fill the remaining ¼ with purified or distilled water, and lastly add a cap full of tea tree oil. Put the top on the spray bottle and shake before each use. Witch hazel is a natural astringent, and tea tree oil is naturally antibacterial and helps heal any blemishes or spots that you may have.



Moisturizer
Moisturizer is 100% completely imperative to your skin. Washing strips the oil from your face and astringent closes your pores back up leaving your skin dry. When your skin is dry, it tries to overcompensate for the lost oil by overproducing oil that can trap dirt and lead to breakouts. That's where moisturizer comes in - it replenishes your skin's moisture without making it oily. I use Boot's Radiance Beauty Balm from their naturals line, which I purchased at Target. It is definitely my favorite moisturizer. I'll do a more in-depth review about it some other day, but for now just trust me on this one. During the winter or if my skin fed particularly dry, I mix in a drop or two of jojoba oil, for extra moisture.



Organic Tea Tree Oil
If I have a blemish, I put a dab of organic TTO on it. It's a natural antiseptic and has been used for centuries by the aboriginal people of Australia for healing purposes. I also mix a little bit into my toner, and even some into the diaper spray that I use for Caleb's wipes, but that's a separate topic entirely :)




Eye Cream
Lastly, I use the Eye Contour Cream by Yes To Carrots. It has a nice smell, and it's a nice thick product so I know (or I feel) like it's doing a good job. I squint a lot due to my sub-par vision, so I try to combat wrinkles as much as possible and I believe that this does indeed help with that.



Organic Jojoba Oil
I have stretched ears (½" to be exact ;3 I'll do a post on proper care of stretched ears soon!), and they are as much a part of my face as any other, so I make sure to take care of them too. I always remove my plugs when I wash my face, because I don't like to get soapy or lotion or whatever else residue on them. Before I put them back in, I put a drop of organic jojoba (pronounced ho-ho-bah) on my forefinger, and massage it into my lobe holes with my forefinger and thumb so that they stay supple and moisturized. I also use jojoba oil to polish and re-hydrate all of my wooden plugs with about once a month. Also, if I have a dry spot on my face, I put a dab of this on there as well for some extra moisture.



Well, there you have it, folks: my skincare routine! As I said before, this might not work for everyone, and it's really up to you to find what works best for you, your skin, and your lifestyle. I hope I have been informative and maybe a few of you will take something from this post that will be applicable in your life, who knows?




Anyways, have a nice evening or morning or whenever you're reading this, stay tuned, and SUBSCRIBE <3

Type to you later, Dolls
~



No comments:

Post a Comment