Monday, September 10, 2012

The Oil Cleansing Method


Do you long for beautiful, smooth, clear skin? Do you wish that you had an even skintone and a natural dewy glow to your bare skin without makeup on? Do you wish to stop spending so much money on miracle creams and lotions that don't even guarantee results?

Of course you do!

Today I'm going to talk about my *newish* skincare routine that I started in back in March (literally like a week after I wrote up that skincare post HAHA) called the Oil Cleansing Method (or OCM).

Basically what it is is an all-natural, soapless way of cleansing and treating your face using a combination of clean natural oils. Since using it, I can honestly say that my skin has been in the best condition of my life.

OILS!? You say.
But, won't that clog my skin and give me acne!?

The short answer: No, it won't.

The long answer: Throw all the misinformation that you have about oils in the trash. Clean oil, by itself, does not clog pores. Dirty oil does. As the day goes on, your skin secretes sebum, which is your body's natural lubricant and moisturizer. Sebum, by itself, is good for your skin.
However, we do not live in a perfect world where nothing ever touches our faces. Throughout the day, stuff gets on our face, no matter how much we try to prevent it. Sebum, mixed with dirt, makeup, food, dead skin, and bacteria is what hardens and clogs your pores and causes acne. At the end of the day, you have two options to get rid of the dirty sebum. You can pull out the expensive soaps and lotions and creams and salves that strip your face of any and all moisture, then pray to the gods of skincare that your moisturizer puts back what your facial skin needs to stay healthy. Or, you can use the OCM.

The OCM works on the principle of cleansing the face and removing the dirty oil and residue with clean oil. The clean oil emulsifies the hardened, dirty oil, allowing it to be washed off easily, while still leaving your skin's proper moisture intact.

You will two types of oils to create your mixture. Firstly, and most importantly, is castor oil.



Castor oil, for those of you who don't know, is commonly used as a laxative. Now, you're probably thinking "LOL she wants me to use a laxative on my face!?"

Well, the answer is yes. Along with its laxative properties, castor oil is actually a great (and strong) cleanser. It has natural antibacterial and detoxifying properties, which makes it a great candidate for a skin cleanser.

However, castor oil is thick. And potent. You'll need another oil to dilute it. That's where a second oil comes in. You can use basically any plant oil. Some popular oils to use are olive, jojoba, sweet almond, sunflower, safflower, and grapeseed. I personally use a mixture of coconut, sweet almond, and grapeseed oils.



The ratio of Castor oil to your diluting oil depends on your skin type. For dry skin, you don't want to use any more than 20% castor oil. For normal skin, 20%-30% castor oil is a good amount. And finally, for oily skin, 30%-50% castor oil, depending on the amounts of oils that your skin produces. You can tailor this amount to fit your needs. I have normal, non-sensitive, non-acne prone skin and I find that 30%:70% castor oil to diluting oil mixture works best for me.



So once you make your mixture and put it in your bottle, it's time to wash your face. Shake the bottle to mix the oils together and put a half-dollar sized amount into your hand, emulsify, and massage into your face. You can use a face brush if you have one - I use my scrublet that I have from my old bottle of L'Oréal Go 360 Clean. Massage it into your pores for a minute or two, and then grab a wash cloth and wet it with steaming hot water. Wring it out, and lay it over your face like a mask, and let the steam open up your pores and draw out the impurities. Once the washcloth has cooled, use it to remove the oil from your face. Rinse the wash cloth and repeat the steaming once more. Tone your face like normal. If you feel like you're a bit dry or if you have any problem areas, apply a tiny amount of oil to your face.



My face; no makeup, no Photoshop, phone camera. The scab next to my lip isn't acne, I accidentally left hair remover on my ladystache for too long (;≧∇≦)

I also use a homemade exfoliant once a week, and a homemade mask once a week to complete my skincare rituals. I'll talk about those some other time, though :)

A bit of a warning:
As with any new skincare routine, after about two weeks your skin will really start to "purge" itself and you might break out. This does not mean that the OCM failed you and is a crock of crazy hippie witch doctor bullshit. Your skin just needs to get used to the changes and should bounce back fairly quickly.


Aaaaaanyway, that is it for now! Thanks for reading, and I hope you decide to give the OCM a shot!

Direct any and all questions to the comments section below and I will do my best to answer them in a timely and informative manner ~


Talk to you dolls later,

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete