Thursday, December 20, 2012

New Camera, New Fringe, Same Everything Else

Hey everyone! Long time no blog, eh? Well, I hope to change that soon because I just got a new camera yesterday!



This is my new baby, a Nikon Coolpix L310. It's an "intermediate" camera, I guess it's called (idk). It's between a point-and-shoot and a DSLR which is perfect for me, because I'm not a professional photographer. I just needed something that was a bit more advanced that your average point-and-shoot that could record HD videos as well (yay more YouTube videos), both for blogging and for taking pictures of my work for my portfolio. I got it at Target for such a steal! They had ordered too many for their Black Friday sale and didn't end up selling them all, so they were on super-sale. I'm not telling you how much it went for, but let me tell you, it was ridiculous.

I also got a tripod that expands from an 11" tabletop tripod to a 42" full tripod, so I can take clearer outfit shots as well! Yay!






Short Fringe

If you follow me on Tumblr or Instagram, or are my friend on Facebook, you'll know that this past week I cut my fringe short. I was inspired by the alt and new-age pinup models that I usually see gracing my Tumblr dashboard. In case you didn't know, I am a huge fan of vintage styling, especially 1930's and 1940's pinup style. I've had a short fringe before, during my gal-break of 2011 and I loved them and missed them, so I cut them again.




 I didn't realize it until today, actually, that short fringe is starting to trend in gyaru as well! I guess I'm just a trendsetter like that, heh heh *brushes shoulders off*

Singer Miliyah Kato has been seen sporting them as of recently in the ViVi December 2012 issue, on the cover of BLENDA's January 2013 issue, and on the cover of her new album True Lovers





JELLY Model Mari Takahashi also has them. Hers are a bit longer, and here she is wearing them curled under and swept to the side.
Mari's are a little longer, they just skim the top of the brow.





Tips for wearing short fringe
I'm sure there are a few of you who are thinking "Dang, those are really cute! But how do I wear them without looking stupid?" Here are a few tips straight from the hairstylist's mouth:


my crude drawing of styles of fringes. click for larger.


If you have an oval-shaped face, congrats! You can wear any of these styles. 

If you have a square- or heart-shaped face, a large forehead, or are nervous about going *too* short with your fringe, go with a fringe that is shortest in the center, and tapers longer on the edges, like style A. It softens the shape of the face, and will give the illusion of a more proportionate face. Fringe like this looks best cut right above the eyebrow.

Fringes like style B are cut straight across and can be brought up higher than style A. These work best for someone who has an average to larger forhead and an oval face, because it visually cuts it down in size. Avoid these if you have a heart- or square-shaped face, because it can accentuate a wide forehead. Also, since there is no tapering and the fringe is one length, it can bring out harsher angles in a square face.

Fringes like style C are shortest at the temples and come down slightly longer in the center. These are the more "extreme" kind of short fringe and look best mid-forehead or higher. This fringe work best for a round- or heart-shaped face or someone with a small forehead, because the higher points visually draw up the eye, creating the illusion of a more oval face. Avoid these if you have a square face or a high forehead. Like I mentioned previously, the tapered edges draw the eye upward, which is the last thing you want if you have a large forehead. The tapered edges also create points, which can accentuate the square shape of a face.

More Tips
  • This type of fringe requires heat styling every day (that you go outside of the house). They are not a wash-and-wear type of style. 
  • Since you'll be heat styling them so often, I absolutely 200% recommend that you invest in a good heat protectant spray or serum.
RUSK thermal Serum 4.2oz $16 from Folica.com

  • They can be difficult to style with a traditional 1" flat iron, depending on their length. Many companies now sell mini flat irons fairly inexpensively for those who like to keep their bangs (or hair) shorter.
CROC Baby Croc Mini Flat Iron $26  from Folica.com

  • ALWAYS consult your hairdresser first. Fringes in general are very tricky to cut and can be easily messed up. Your fringe is one of the first things that someone sees when they look at your face, and if it is off just a bit, it can ruin your whole look. Your hairdresser will also be able to customize your cut based on your needs and to complement your new fringe as well.


I personally like to accessorize my fringe by wearing a flower in my hair and a bold lip. I do my eye makeup the exact same as always, but must make sure that my eyebrows are always impeccable since they're now forever on display!

If anyone decides to get a short fringe cut, be sure and let me know, by either commenting on here, or tagging me on Twitter (@opheliadanger) or Instagram (@yellowbirdd)!! I'd love to see how you look with it!

Before I go, here's a cute picture of Caleb I took with my new camera. What color do you think his eyes are? I can never tell. Sometimes they look blue, sometimes they look green, and sometimes they look grey. What do you think?






8 comments:

  1. One of my colleagues has been bugging me to get a fringe cut in since she saw me with a clip-in one, though I'm not sure I'd dare go for a short fringe. What kind of fringe do you think would suit me? ^.^

    I think Caleb's eyes look green-grey, like a stormy sea. :) Really love your look in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those bangs look really nice on you! I love pin-up vibe.

    I've been looking to upgrade from a point and shoot without going as far as getting a DSLR as well, hopefully I can find something like cool pix on super sale too! (°¬°)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ended up buying a DSLR but it's hard because you need to invest time to learn to use it. I def want a tripod though, was it expensive? Also liking the fringe! I've had side-swept bangs for forever but this makes me rethink bangs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Thanks, However I am experiencing
    difficulties with your RSS. I don't know the reason why I can't join it.
    Is there anybody else having similar RSS
    problems? Anybody who knows the solution will you kindly respond?

    Thanx!!
    My weblog :: Geeks on Steroids Janeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Undeniably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the internet the simplest thing to be aware of.

    I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while people consider worries that they just
    don't know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks
    Feel free to visit my homepage :: Como Conquistar A Una Amiga

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete